Racing the latest Ferrari

I am given the choice: a Lamborghini Aventador, an Aston Martin Vintage or one of three painfully red Ferraris. Including the newest model; a 458 Italia (worth 250.000 euro). Which one do I want to take for a spin on the famous Barcelona circuit? Something tells me there will be more surprises...
Choosing is always difficult, but I go for the newest Ferrari. “Well, have you ever done something like this?” Producer Xavi is hopeful; he really wants to surprise me. “No,” I admit. It's actually something I've always wanted to do. He smiles, just like my driving instructor Pol Rosell. But his smile is a bit different, a bit provocative... Rosell is the European Champion in the Renault Clio Cup. Do I want to get in the car? I'm already sitting...

Pol hits the gas and we’re off at break-neck speed. At least, that's how it feels. He is obviously used to playing with the powerful 570 hp of this machine. I need to grip onto the door handle when we take the corner. Meanwhile I'm looking out the window, trying to get an idea of the track. The speedometer is showing 230 km/h on the straight. Yikes...

"A strange feeling hits me. I’ve already been stationary for minutes, but the adrenaline is still coursing through my body."
Pol talks me through the process the whole time while he manoeuvres the car: “Brake hard before the corner, a little less in the corner itself, slam on the gas when you exit it, steering wide. This way, you use the entire track.”
After two laps he steers the red monster into the pit again. Just when I'm ready to get out, he says: “Do you want to drive?" My hearts skips a beat. May be even two. “Of course." I say, already sweating buckets. “There's only one condition,” Pol says, “You have to do exactly as I say." That makes total sense to me.
Accelerating is easy and familiar, though there has never been more power under my foot. The gears are panels on the steering wheel; it takes a couple of minutes for me to get used to it. The bucket seat feels very snug and I realise how necessary it is when I hit the corner.... “Finding the ideal racing line is key," says Pol. Keeping this animal on the asphalt is a big challenge. “It's better to enter a curve slowly, so you can leave it fast." Pol's words are buzzing in my head.
I have to brake hard just when the corner is too close for comfort. That's seconds later than you would normally. But this baby has serious brakes. I have to steer right into the corner, apply the gas and go out wide to pick up speed. The chicane is the ultimate test, especially because it's right before of the straight, which is where I’m supposed to hit top speed. I make it to 212 km/h. Wow. Sure, Pol was faster. But he's a pro.
Back in the pit I'm still shaking. Yes, this certainly looks easier than it really is. Pol is full of compliments. “You honestly have never done this before?" No. “You did really well." I bet he says that to everybody, but I'm quite pleased with my performance myself. And happy. And thrilled. A strange feeling hits me. I’ve already been stationary for minutes, but the adrenaline is still coursing through my body.
After my drive with instructor Pol and presenter Ivana.
Racing the latest Ferrari Racing the latest Ferrari Reviewed by Unknown on 9:24 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.